The design process is the foundation upon which your entire custom home building experience is built. As discussed in previous articles and blogs, we believe it is important to start with a detailed list of design specifications. The saying, “The Devil is in the Details” is never more appropriate, as we discuss in a previous blog. In this article, we’ll provide an overview of the design process along with 8 steps to designing your custom home and creating the best building experience possible.
Detailed specifications help you avoid some common mistakes often made in the initial construction process. Specifications that are too vague can be confusing and misleading. As you begin the design process, you should work with an architect or builder to create detailed design specifications. It is virtually impossible to compare apples to apples or stay within a budget when detailed specifications have not been clearly outlined. Here are some of the benefits of having detailed specifications:
Ensure an apples to apples comparison for pricing
Select the quality of the products you want to be used in your home and avoid surprises during construction
Establish a budget and benchmarks for the final selections process
8 Steps to Designing Your Custom Home
We believe the best custom home building experiences incorporates a collaborative approach to the design process. Here are 8 steps to consider when designing your custom home:
- Evaluate your overall budget and financing needs
- Evaluate your lot requirements
- Research and interview builders and architects you’d like to work with, narrowing it down to 1-3 choices
- Contract either an architect or a builder to complete detailed design drawings and specifications. Reduce the number of allowances to create a more realistic budget.
- Compare builders, preliminary pricing, and choose the builder you’d like to begin a long-term relationship with. You’ll have to live and work with them for the next 12-24 months, so this is an extremely important decision.
- Refine your designs, with architect and builder collaboration, to finalize your budget
- Consider whether a landscape architect and/or interior designer would be helpful for the project
- Contract with your builder and begin your home building journey
The design process for building a custom home is the first step in your journey, but just as you you’re your home built on a good foundation, so too, the design process is the foundation of your entire custom home building process. We will explore the design phase in further detail in an upcoming article.
If you want to be fully educated on the design process for building a custom home, be sure to read our ebook: “Designing & Building Your Custom Dream Home: How to Create an Experience You’ll Love to Remember.”
Are you ready to get started? Contact Mueller Homes today, and let’s schedule a discovery meeting!